MFD> Updated MFD Overall Document

William Wagner wamwagner at comcast.net
Wed Mar 25 12:27:53 EDT 2009

I have posted an incrementally updated but still preliminary  MFD Overall
document at

ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/mfd/wd/wd-mfdoverallmod10-20090325.pdf , doc

 I have made some of the changes discussed at the February meeting, have
done some reorganization, and have re-written some areas.

I would appreciate comments on these changes before I continue.  Please
disregard for now that references and table/figure numbering is not in
place.

Changes are:

1.       First chapter is unchanged, but  second chapter has some additional
text on the MFD Semantic model  and now incorporates the subunit
descriptions. Some question areas are highlighted. The subunit section is
largely as extracted from the Scanner spec, but with additional information
on subunits not in the scan service.  This information is still incomplete
in several places. Note that the subunit section  has largely replaced text
paragraphs with tables. The schema diagrams from the Scan Service document
are included, although I am not sure that that is necessary. If it is,
additional schema sections for subunits not addressed in the scan spec will
be needed.

2.       Chapter 3 reflects a reorganization of operation, state and
transition material that was distributed at various places in the Scan
Service document into one section. This reflects the major change in the
document from the last version. The intent was to provide a higher level
understanding of the models and how they operated before we got into the
nitty-gritty of elements description. Again, I have put in more tables, and
have taken some liberties with the Scan Service document text in an attempt
to provide a consistent view. There are some question areas highlighted.

3.       Chapter 4 contains the elements descriptions. Although I have not
completed this in all areas, I have converted element description  text to
tables. I need some feedback  as to whether this works.  There are still
holes, particularly in elements in the schema that were not covered in the
scan service document.

Many  thanks,

Bill Wagner