[MFD] MFD Service Operations

William Wagner wamwagner at comcast.net
Tue Mar 30 22:30:52 UTC 2010

text in

ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/mfd/white/ServiceOperations-20100330.pdf  and

ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/mfd/white/ServiceOperations-20100330.doc

There are NO changes to the text content.

One reason why this has been extracted as a separate "white" paper document
rather than included as part of the "overall" spec is to allow concentration
on this particular and very important aspect of the MFD services. I have
modified this section extensively, and have approached it as a new document
because the changes have been continuing for a long period as the various
services are considered and as IPP has added operations. Therefore,  there
is a definite possibility of errors in continuity and inter-relation.
Although I appreciate the added effort necessary, I therefore also request
that this section be reviewed in its entirety, not just for what the changes
are.

Except for one brand new table, I have not flagged changes. As I have
indicated previously, I believe that in enough cases the general MFD
operation must be considered differently from the IPP precursor operation
because of the Print specific nature of the IPP Precursor. I believe that
the MFD document should be able to stand on its own in this area.
Considering the general nature of the MFD Overall document, it is not
obvious how detailed the operation description can or needs to be, and that
is a subject for discussion.

In some cases where I am unsure of the information I have been given, I have
put in remarks. I have formatted the PDF with balloon remarks so that the
remarks are visible ( with apologies to those who can't abide balloons).

Red highlights are mainly markers for me noting that cross references are
bad as a result of extracting this from the larger document.

Other highlights have been removed.

I appreciate constructive comments and anticipate that this section will be
reviewed with problems resolved at the 6 April face-to-face meeting.

Thanks,

Bill Wagner