PWG-ANNOUNCE> Future work of the PWG

don at lexmark.com don at lexmark.com
Thu Aug 19 12:47:41 EDT 1999

Ira:

While my idea seeding note said "Linux" it is not unreasonable to extend that to
all of Unix.  As I am sure you are aware, the Unix print architecture leaves a
lot to be desired:

- no standard GUI
- each application generates the print datastreams
- datastream transforms via "hacks" like ghostscript
- lack of integration between the printer's status and configuration and print
stream generation

When one looks at the printing model for Windows and the Macintosh, it is
obvious to me that Unix/Linux has failed to move forward to provide the full
functionality and ease of use that Windows and Mac have provided.

Hence the question:  Is there some standardization work the PWG can do to
facilitate improvement of Linux/Unix printing?

* Don Wright                 don at lexmark.com *
* Director, Strategic & Technical Alliances  *
* Lexmark International                      *
* 740 New Circle Rd                          *
* Lexington, Ky 40550                        *
* 606-232-4808 (phone) 606-232-6740 (fax)    *

imcdonal%sdsp.mc.xerox.com at interlock.lexmark.com on 08/19/99 12:14:14 AM