The relationship between the Alert Table and hrPrinterDetectedErrorState

JK Martin jkm at underscore.com
Wed Sep 4 17:50:00 EDT 1996

Bob,

Thanks for the response.  I wish more printer vendors would respond,
too, so that the PWG can get some idea of a "common mindset" on this
implementation topic.

You wrote:

> I don't think you can say "there are no warning/alert entries in the Alert
> Table if hrPrinterDetectedErrorState is zero". We have error and warning
> conditions that are not covered by the eight conditions listed for
> hrPrinterDetectedErrorState. For example, a disk failure or a failure in
> the controller that interfaces to our paper handling devices.

Before asking my question, perhaps a quick re-cap of the possible values
of the hrPrinterDetectedErrorState object would help other readers:

	lowPaper
	noPaper
	lowToner
	noToner
	doorOpen
	jammed
	offline
	serviceRequested

Wouldn't you set hrPrinterDetectedErrorState to "serviceRequested" for
such conditions as "disk failure", etc?  (In fact, isn't "serviceRequested"
the semantic equivalent of the "other" enum value so often found in the
Printer MIB definitions?)

Again, thanks for the response, Bob.  No matter what how you respond to my
above question, this kind of information is crucial for software developers
as we try to deliver products based on the Printer MIB.

	...jay