How to identify the particular printer MODEL via SNMP? -

Bill Wagner bwagner at digprod.com
Thu Oct 24 08:53:10 EDT 1996

     1. I support the idea of including the plug&play id, and indeed had
     previously suggested that it might be included in channel information.
     It does seen to fit the objective of providing information necessary
     to establish a working print capability. But, since it is potentially
     applicable to all channels originated from a Windows user, it might be
     better as a separate object than included in several channel channel
     information objects.

     2. With respect to the hr Objects, I suggest that the RFC needs
     clarification about how much of the hr MIB is to be included, and
     whether included means supported with valid data or just answered to
     with a null response. The  hrPrinterTable  components specified in
     RFC1759 at least represent an entire table. In referencing
     hrDeviceStatus, was the intent merely that this single object be
     included or should it be inferred that the entire six-object table
     should be supported? There is some discomfort with supporting but one
     object in a table; i.e., treating it as a scalar.

     3. To me, it is not clear that the ProductID is of the same structure
     as the MIB II sysObjectID. Why not just maintain the ObjectIdentifier
     data type rather than define a new textual convention? And the example
     suggests that one starts somewhere in the middle of the tree rather
     than at the start. I think clarification is necessary.

     4. Perhaps I missed the message, but how is the indeterminate status
     of the hrMIB going to be resolved with respect to referencing it in
     the Printer MIB?

     5. Scott responded to the question on non-network interfaces. Has no
     one else any position on this? If we drop non-network interfaces, then
     Harry was right all along; there is no need for raw channels. I
     suspect we could drop other channels as well. I do not necessary
     support this, but I suggest that the RFC should be clear as to whether
     all interfaces are supported or just network interfaces.

     Bill Wagner