Hastings, Tom N hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com
Mon Oct 22 13:39:58 EDT 2001

The IETF Area Director, Ned Freed, reviewed Bob's 03 draft (June 26) and
made a number of good suggestions for things an implementer needs to think
about to make a robust implementation.  Also suggestions as to when a
bi-directional protocol should be used instead (as we have in XHTML-print
with URLs).

None of these suggestion would affect an implementation, unless they hadn't
thought about some of the problems of implementation. Also none of these
suggestions would affect the semantics or the actual representation on the
wire for UPnP with the following exception:

Ned Freed is strongly resistant to approving the document for registration
in the IETF MIME tree as 'application/multiplexed'.  He suggested that it be
registered in the vender tree.

Therefore, we are suggesting that we change the MIME type from
'application/multiplexed' to 'application/vnd.pwg-multiplexed' and register
it with IANA (as Don has done for Application/vnd.pwg-xhtml-print+xml).

Bob has started updating the document to make an 04 IETF Internet-Draft and
will have it out in the next week or two.  If Ned Freed won't publish that
as an Informational RFC, we can publish it as a PWG standard (hence my
copying the pwg DL).

Comments?

Thanks,
Tom