PWG> Updated PWG Process Document

Harry Lewis harryl at us.ibm.com
Wed Apr 7 00:59:53 EDT 2004

Here is an update. I tried to capture all the changes we spoke of
recently. I have not edited the reference document that describes the
directory structure, file relationships etc. That is the bear we've been
wrestling with... so the job is not done. But I hope the base process doc
can be finalized now, or very soon. I can't say I like the document. I
think we've patched it to much and the result is too wordy. I wold prefer
to re-write from scratch (except IP section) in very terse and succinct
fashion... but I hardly found time to do these patches... so that will
have to wait until I retire from my real job.

Some section number internal links are hosed. Maybe some guru can help
with that on final revision. I also need to plug back in the (landscape)
process diagram but doing so was like playing "whack-a-mole" because it
caused document anomalies which I would suppress in one place only to find
them shift to another location in the document. Again, I'll probably need
help if I'm to preserve what small amount of hair I have left.

I took liberty with prototyping. We had MUST but decided SHOULD (to avoid
defining prototyping) but were uncomfortable because we really do want to
insist on some prototyping... so I took a shot... read and comment.

I did not plug in the "tools chain" requirement. Why? I'd like to FINISH!
We've made so many process changes that effect voting, naming etc that
we've crated a LOT of confusion among wg's. Tool chain will be NICE to get
in at some later revision but we really NEED a stable process right now!

I don't expect this is the FINAL version.. but hope it is close. Please
review in prep for Thursday meeting if possible. I KNOW! THAT (short
notice) breaks the process!

Oh, yea... I tried to update boiler-plate too... based on recent comments
from ISTO.

ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/general/process/pwg-process20-20040406-rev.pdf
ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/general/process/pwg-process20-20040406.pdf
ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/general/process/pwg-process20-20040406-rev.doc
Harry Lewis
http://www.pwg.org
IBM Printing Systems
http://www.ibm.com/printers