McDonald, Ira imcdonald at sharplabs.com
Thu Jan 6 19:34:01 EST 2005

Hi,

Per discussions recently abouts OASIS WSDM and various PWG specs,
the IESG did indeed approve this document in October 2004 as an
IETF Full Standard and send it to the RFC Editor with a Fast Track
request (otherwise, it would be 2006 before it was published):

	<draft-fielding-uri-rfc2396bis-07.txt>

Nonetheless, the Normative reference in WSDM MUWS is invalid.
Only a published RFC can be normatively referenced legitimately
by any standards document.  Internet-Drafts say on their cover
page that they MUST NOT be referenced.

And I'll reiterate what I said back in October about this:

  Note - quite a number of basic ABNF productions have been
  simply removed and then replaced with others.  Although I
  complained on the URI Review list, I got shouted down.
  Essentially EVERY existing URI scheme definition is now
  broken, because the basic ABNF productions are gone and
  actual resolution and normalization rules have been bent
  into different forms.

The WIMS and PSI URL schemes will need to be rewritten to
use the new ABNF productions (which were renamed).

Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI  49839
phone: +1-906-494-2434
email: imcdonald at sharplabs.com