Ira McDonald blueroofmusic at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 12:49:03 EST 2007

Hi,

The PWG should probably use these in any *new* URI or Natural Language
Tag string properties in PWG MIBs (see note below).

RFC 5017 defines "Uri" (unbounded US-ASCII string) and "Uri255" and
"Uri1024" (with max lengths) - looks quite good to me.

RFC5131 obsoletes the RFC 2932 "LanguageTag" and defines "LangTag"
(US-ASCII string of 0 or 2..63 octets), and was clearly influenced by PWG
Job Mon MIB (the first IETF standards-track language tag TC).

RFC4646 (current) and the RFC4646bis (mid-2008) actual language tags
fit comfortably in 63 octets.

Note - changing our existing PWG Counter MIB or Port Mon MIB would be a
breaking change, because they used UTF-8 SnmpAdminString (for future
support of native Unicode IRIs).

Jerry Thrasher - perhaps a brief Steering Committee topic in January?