WBMM> 21 August WBMM Conference Call

Harry Lewis harryl at us.ibm.com
Tue Aug 19 01:23:24 EDT 2003

Unfortunately, with the shifting of days back and forth I've lost my grip
on this meeting. I won't be able to make it this week. I've got it plugged
in for Wednesday 8/27 and Wednesday's thereafter... as originally
scheduled.
Harry Lewis
http://www.pwg.org
IBM Printing Systems
http://www.ibm.com/printers
303-924-5337

"Wagner,William" <WWagner at NetSilicon.com>
Sent by: owner-wbmm at pwg.org
08/18/2003 07:58 PM

<wbmm at pwg.org>
cc

Subject
WBMM> 21 August  WBMM Conference Call

Greetings:

Reminder about this  week's WBMM conference call, on Thursday again this
week (but due  to return to Wednesday  thereafter). I understand that
Harry  will set up  a  WebEX-like  capability.  However, I suggest that
you pull  copies of the documents identified below from the PWG site and
the HP site.

Time:12:00 PM EDT (9:00 AM PDT) Thursday  August  21 2003
Call-in US Toll-free: 1-877-874-5524
Call-in International/Toll: 1-712-455-8420
Participant Identification number: 497478

The primary subject  is a consideration of the objectives  of WBMM (as
represented in the charter, which has been approved) relative  to the  Web
Services Management  Framework (WSMF) that is being developed by HP.

Bob Tailor responded  to  a query about WSMF versus WBMM as follows:

"HP does believe strongly in the WSMF as a basis for standards for the
management of web services.  We do expect management of printers, MFPs and
print services to move in this direction over time."

I would ask that interested participants review the extensive  (albeit
somewhat abstract) information on WSMF at
http://devresource.hp.com/drc/specifications/wsmf/index.jsp

This  information declares that WSMF is "model  neutral", indeed  stating
that, "in the future, further examples and white papers will be provided
on how the management information from specific models like MIB/SNMP,
CIM/WBEM, and JMX/JSR77 to WSMF can be achieved." This would suggest that
WBMM efforts on further  defining an imaging  management model may be
compatible with WSMF, or whatever the framework may evolve into.

Yet, it is unclear that the rest of the  framework fully addresses the
scenarios that WBMM has defined, although it seems geared up  to address
some  much more  complicated use  cases.

I have also reworked the  WBMM "definitions"  document and would suggest
this as an outline for a partitioning the WBMM effort. Indeed, depending
upon our take on WSMF, some  of the  partitions may be covered there and
need not be addressed  by  the PWG
ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/wbmm/white/definitions2.pdf

The WBMM working group  objective is to provide a standard way to address
the  uses cases in the WBMM scenario. We  intend neither to arbitrarily
fight WSMF nor to passively give way to it. WSMF is, as  one would expect,
not imaging specific. On one hand, this is  positive  in that  it may
become an accepted framework upon which a specific  imaging model may  be
hung.  On the  other hand, as  in past cases, it  may hampered by
non-imaging  folks simplistic  view of  what imaging and imaging "object"
management entails. And this relates  not only to the management model but
to  the operations and delivery.

We would very much appreciate your take  on this development, which
illustrates the  important of defining a consistent Web Based management
approach,  but may wind up evolving into a  late and suboptimal solution
for imaging devises and services.

Many thanks

Bill Wagner