WBMM> PWG Counter MIB - 3 model choices

Wagner,William WWagner at NetSilicon.com
Thu Mar 11 09:40:23 EST 2004

Ira,

In checking with Harry,  the (yet unpublished) minutes of the last phone conference indicate that the consensus was to proceed with your alternative 2. We appreciate your efforts on this. Although we recognize that defining the counters in MIB form requires more effort, the inital idea  was that we were defining these new counter elements as desirable management objects, not just for WBMM but for other management protocols. So our preference to go through the MIB process.  But, of course, the schema is our primary requirment.

Bill Wagner

	-----Original Message-----
	From: McDonald, Ira [mailto:imcdonald at sharplabs.com]
	Sent: Sun 2/29/2004 4:03 PM
	To: 'wbmm at pwg.org'
	Subject: WBMM> PWG Counter MIB - 3 model choices

	Hi,                               Sunday (29 February 2004 - 'leap day')

	Here are three alternatives for structuring a PWG Counter MIB:

	(1) Object-Oriented Model
	    - see my recent PWG Imaging System MIB proposal
	    - delete Attribute table (no configuration for services/devices)
	    - define Counter table w/ dictionary counter enums, e.g.,

	    IcCounterTypeTC ::= TEXTUAL-CONVENTION
	    SYNTAX      INTEGER {
	        other(1),                           -- non-standard counter
	        unknown(2),                         -- unknown counter type

	        -- impression counters
	        totalImpressions(51),               -- INTEGER - Counter32
	            -- total impressions printed by this system/service/device
	        blankImpressions(52),               -- INTEGER - Counter32
	            -- blank impressions printed by this system/service/device
	    }

	    - Pros: Most compact definition
	            Most similar to Job MIB
	            Easily extended (register new enums in separate TCs MIB)
	    - Cons: Most complex for implementors

	(2) Hybrid Model
	    - see my recent PWG Imaging System MIB proposal
	    - delete Attribute table (no configuration for services/devices)
	    - define Counter table w/ classic columnar objects (not enums), e.g.

	    IcCounterEntry ::= SEQUENCE {
	        icCounterParentClassIndex           Integer32, -- service/device
	        icCounterParentObjectIndex          Integer32, -- pointer
	        icCounterInputImages                Counter32,
	        icCounterOutputImages               Counter32,
	        icCounterImpressions                Counter32,
	        icCounterBlankImpressions           Counter32,
	        icCounterBlackImpressions           Counter32,
	        icCounterFullColorImpressions       Counter32,
	        icCounterHighlightColorImpressions  Counter32,
	    }

	    - Pros: Fairly compact definition
	    - Cons: Still complex for implementors
	            Differs from both Job MIB and Printer MIB models
	            All counters must be OPTIONAL (w/ many conformance groups)

	(3) Classic Model
	    - see my recent PWG Imaging System MIB proposal
	    - delete Attribute table (no configuration for services/devices)
	    - define _many_ counter tables w/ classic columnar objects, e.g.

	    IcCopyCounterEntry ::= SEQUENCE {
	        icCopyServiceIndex                  Integer32, -- pointer
	        icCopyDeviceIndex                   Integer32, -- pointer
	        icCopyInputJobs                     Counter32,
	        icCopyInputImages                   Counter32,
	        icCopyImpressions                   Counter32,
	        icCopyBlankImpressions              Counter32,
	        icCopyBlackImpressions              Counter32,
	        icCopyFullColorImpressions          Counter32,
	    }

	    IcPrintCounterEntry ::= SEQUENCE {
	        icPrintServiceIndex                 Integer32, -- pointer
	        icPrintDeviceIndex                  Integer32, -- pointer
	        icPrintInputJobs                    Counter32,
	        icPrintInputKOctets                 Counter32,
	        icPrintImpressions                  Counter32,
	        icPrintBlankImpressions             Counter32,
	        icPrintBlackImpressions             Counter32,
	        icPrintFullColorImpressions         Counter32,
	        icPrintHighlightColorImpressions    Counter32,
	    }

	    - Pros: Least complex for implementors
	            Most similar to Printer MIB
	    - Cons: Very high redundancy
	            Very large MIB (w/ many conformance groups)
	            Requires revised MIB for a new service (not just enums)

	Comments?

	Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
	PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI  49839
	phone: +1-906-494-2434