WBMM> Setting the Schedule

Wagner,William WWagner at NetSilicon.com
Mon May 3 16:08:15 EDT 2004

Correct. That is the way it is described in the spec. The notion is that only a  device  which has been configured  to be managed can be managed, only by the Management station to which  it has been configured.

Bill Wagner

 -----Original Message-----
From: Harry Lewis [mailto:harryl at us.ibm.com]
Sent: Monday, May 03, 2004 3:59 PM
To: Wagner,William
Cc: wbmm at pwg.org
Subject: RE: WBMM> Setting the Schedule

I'm just thinking about the firewall.

You are saying, somehow, the Management Station is somehow discovered and/or administratively configured, the Agent (in the enterprise proxy... let's say) performs a RegisterForManagement operation (which does pass the firewall) and, if a valid response is received from the Manager, then the Agent performs a GetSchedule operation. Right?
Harry Lewis
http://www.pwg.org
IBM Printing Systems
http://www.ibm.com/printers
303-924-5337

"Wagner,William" <WWagner at NetSilicon.com>
Sent by: owner-wbmm at pwg.org

05/03/2004 01:09 PM

Harry Lewis/Boulder/IBM at IBMUS, <wbmm at pwg.org>

cc

Subject
RE: WBMM> Setting the Schedule

Harry,

That is one mode, but I would not  say that  it is the main mode  since it  is an optional  operation. We have agreed that SOAP can use either  SMTP   or  HTTP.  The SetSchedule operation (to  my mind) make  sense primarily in an entirely email oriented implementation.

In many cases, MFPs  are not managed by the IP  group and an easy,  non-IT dependent mode  of operation is desirable.  Having to  set up a mail account  for every printer is a bother (although this can be reduced by using a proxy).  Using the  basic terminal web access is  generally easier and  involves  less  people in an organization.

Of course, if you  want to implement an SNMP based protocol, that's fine.  But the SetSchedule  operation is optional.

For either binding,  the remote management is  enabled by  the RegisterforMnagement operation.

Bill Wagner