WIMS> CIM - DMTF Conference -- initial report

McDonald, Ira imcdonald at sharplabs.com
Wed Dec 7 17:26:22 EST 2005

Hi Bill,

Looks fine to me.

Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI  49839
phone: +1-906-494-2434
email: imcdonald at sharplabs.com

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-wims at pwg.org [mailto:owner-wims at pwg.org]On Behalf Of
wamwagner at comcast.net
Sent: Wednesday, December 07, 2005 4:56 PM
To: Harry Lewis; wims at pwg.org
Subject: WIMS> CIM - DMTF Conference -- initial report

 The following is derived from minutes and I beleive is our conclusion on
the aoproach toaddress the existing DMTF/PWG work register. I ask that the
members of the working group comment on whether this is indeed their
understanding of the conclusions reached. Then, separately, we may consider
if there is a need to reconsider this approach.

Thanks.
Bill Wagner, Chairman, WIMS WG/PWG

Approach to Address DMTF/PWG CIM-PWG Alignment Work Register

1.     Identify and Categorize Proposed Updates and Corrections to Current
CIM Printing Classes - Basically done for PRINTER in Ira's and Rick's
documents

2.     Gain understanding of CIM Change Request (CR) form and process -
done, to the extent feasible

3.     Review  and if necessary supplement proposed changes in current
documents to identify all applicable changes and to properly categorize
according to:

a.     Purely editorial changes to improve descriptions and to key elements
to proper source documents

b.     Minimal technical changes including minor updates to mapping, and
perhaps addition of enums that are missing. No deprecation or addition of
elements.

c.     Complete technical changes including, perhaps extensive deprecation
and addition of elements

4.     Changes considered benign and non controversial (primarily from
categories a & b) will be formed into a Change Request (CR) and submitted.
The PWG WIM/CIM WG will deliver a single CR consisting of CIM editorials
changes and minimal (low impact) technical changes to CIM classes and
dependant properties. Because of the inter-relationship of printing classes,
all nine printing related classes would be addressed.

5.     Changes will be compiled into a PWG informational specification
including details of correct usage of elements in CIM.

The need for and desirability of category 'c' changes and the addition of
classes, such as for multifunction services, would be considered as a
potential continuing activity after the successful completion of the CR
activity.

From: Harry Lewis <harryl at us.ibm.com>

Bill, is there an excerpt from threads or minutes that concisely describes
"the approach we have outlined"?
Harry Lewis
IBM STSM
http://www.pwg.org
IBM Printing Systems
http://www.ibm.com/printers
303-924-5337

wamwagner at comcast.net

12/06/2005 10:34 PM

Harry Lewis/Boulder/IBM at IBMUS, "Whittle, Craig" <cwhittle at sharplabs.com>

cc
"McDonald, Ira" <imcdonald at sharplabs.com>, "'lee.farrell at cda.canon.com'"
<lee.farrell at cda.canon.com>, "Zehler, Peter" <Peter.Zehler at xeroxlabs.com>,
Richard_Landau at Dell.com

Subject
Re: DMTF Conference -- initial report

I second the thanks Craig. It certainly all sounds very positive.  I suggest
that we continue with the approach we have outlined. Hopefully, the
constructive support from DMTF will encourage more participation from PWG
members.

Bill Wagner

Great job Craig!
I've been trying to convey that they would likely want us to "take the ball
and run" (in ANY direction!). You've confirmed this.
We should look into the JDF link. I'll start by asking Claudia.
Does anyone feel our plans are not well articulated by the "work product
options list" we've been floating and a subset of Rick's pres! entation? If
anyone wants to contribute a concise summary it will be welcome. Otherwise,
I'll be drafting one on the plane Thursday morning.
Harry Lewis
IBM STSM
http://www.pwg.org
IBM Printing Systems
! http://www.ibm.com/printers
303-924-5337

"Whittle, Craig" <cwhittle at sharplabs.com>

12/06/2005 09:14 PM

wamwagner at comcast.net, "McDonald, Ira" <imcdonald at sharplabs.com>, Harry
Lewis/Boulder/IBM at IBMUS, "'lee.farrell at cda.canon.com'"
<lee.farrell at cda.canon.com>, Richard_Landau at Dell.com, "Zehler, Peter"
<Peter.Zehler at xeroxlabs.com>

cc

Subject
DMTF Conference -- initial report

All:

I was able to meet briefly with Winston Bumpus, John Crandall, and Steve
Jerman today to pass on our concerns with PWG/DMTF CIM realignment activity.
Here are some of the highlights:
*         Winston was very aware of our need to get help from DMTF
community.  In his introduction to DMTF class he mentioned the importance of
alliances and mentioned the recent relationship established with the PWG.
*         John indicated tha! t the DMTF would sponsor a couple of
teleconferences to address our concerns.  When I suggested that the PWG c!
ould sponsor the teleconference, he indicated that there would be others in
the DMTF who would want to have input into our directions so a DMTF
sponsored call would work better for them.
*         Steve Jerman does not remember much about the CR he submitted
years ago.  He was just the editor.  He said that the changes may have come
from JDF in support of job related elements.  He was unaware of any
implementations.
*         I also learned that deprecating objects is no big deal.  John
Crandall said they could always be "undepreciated" in the review cycle. &!
nbsp; *         :-)*** *** ********** ** ******** **** ********* *** *******
************ ********
*
I get the feeling they are expecting us to take "take the ball and run with
it".  I didn't share our plans beyond the editorial and "non-controversial"
work products (I'll wait for Harry to share these plans).  Let me know if
you have any specific questions (and to whom) you would like for me to ask.
*
Best regards,
*
**CW