WIMS> CIM> Deprecating (almost) all CurrentXxxx properties in CIM_Printer

WIMS> CIM> Deprecating (almost) all CurrentXxxx properties in CIM_Printer

Richard_Landau at Dell.com Richard_Landau at Dell.com
Tue Aug 9 15:28:44 EDT 2005

Okay, here's another possibly way-off-center point.

First, apparently I seriously misunderstood the (implied) semantics of
the CurrentCharSet and CurrentNaturalLanguage properties.  I apologize.
I assumed (always a bad strategy) that they were global items that could
in fact set the default behavior of the management agent.  That is,
behavior similar to prtGeneralLocalization, though that does not permit
character set and language to vary independently.

However, I am now really puzzled about a useful interpretation of the
meaning of "Current" in these cases.  Two questions.  Easy one first.

1.  The printer MOF does not specify any read-write access for
properties.  The CIM default for this attribute is False.  Should we
attempt to correct this?  Do we think that these properties might permit
read-write access?  Do we think that any properties in CIM_Printer
should permit read-write access?  Such a declaration would be for
modeling only; implementations would still get to permit or forbid write
access, authorize it, etc.

2.  Do we think that such properties are global to the management agent
or local to a management session?  If two users simultaneously request
management information in two different languages (using some protocol
mechanism outside these properties), do they see different values of
CurrentNaturalLanguage?  And how current is "Current?"  Does the value
returned describe the language in which this particular response message
is written, or does it refer to a global setting in the printer?

I agree with Ira that the printer current values don't change.  I would
not expect any such request to alter the value of
CurrentNaturalLanguage.  A deliberate SET operation might alter the
value, but only if the property is writable; see question 1.

Is there a useful interpretation that we can agree on (and then record
in text in the new MOF), for the semantics of these properties?
Suggestions:

- A CurrentXxxx property describes the behavior of the management agent
for all management request-response exchanges or sessions, unless the
request that initiates the session specifies different behavior.

- A request that specifies different behavior does not change the value
of the CurrentXxxx property.

- The mechanism used by a request to specify different behavior is
beyond the scope of this MOF.

- A CurrentXxxx property may or may not be settable by the end user, as
part of management policy.  The MOF declares that the property as
modeled may be writable.  Implementations may vary in their ability to
write the property, or to authorize writing by consumers, and so forth.

Would such semantics be useful to write down?  The current MOF doesn't
specify the behavior of these properties very clearly.

If this whole topic is not completely off-base, we could just add it to
the list of non-cosmetic questions.

Sorry for the length.

rick