WIMS> CIM - [slides] Please review proposal for scope reduction

McDonald, Ira imcdonald at sharplabs.com
Sun Apr 1 14:12:54 EDT 2007

Hi,

Per a phone call with Rick late Friday, I have posted Rick's slides from
the previous week on this topic in the directory:

  HYPERLINK "ftp://ftp.pub/pwg/pub/pwg/wims/cim/"ftp://ftp.pub/pwg/pub/pwg/wims/cim/

in the file:

  CIM_Reduce_scope_of_update_v01_20070322.pdf

Our concencus at the WIMS-CIM WG telecon of Thursday 22 March:

(1) Do all three proposed simplifications (see slides) to avoid being
     forced to add new capabilities classes

(2) Consider reducing the set of base classes (see slides) to speed
      up the very slow CIM Core WG review/approval process

Rick and I have mixed feelings about item (2) - if we leave out tables
from Printer MIB entirely in this round of CIM Printing extensions, we
may not reach the (eye of the beholder) "critical mass" to make it
worthwhile for printer manufacturers or printing software vendors to
support the CIM Printing classes.

I personally now favor continuing with all of our new base classes,
but with reduced functionality (less properties) to avoid being forced
to add capabilities classes as well.

Cheers,
- Ira (co-editor of WIMS-CIM Printing Refresh project)

Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI  49839
phone: +1-906-494-2434