WIMS> When are counters reset, if ever?

McDonald, Ira imcdonald at sharplabs.com
Wed Aug 15 16:22:47 EDT 2007

Hi Rick,

All of what Bill says below is why Abstract Counter spec says MUST for
'lifetime' System-level counters and SHOULD for 'lifetime' Service-level
counters (we felt that any higher conformance requirement would be too
often violated).

By analogy, the PDM MIB/XML should probably say SHOULD for 'lifetime'
counters (since it's a component of a system, but not the whole system)?

Or, PDM WG could agree to really keep non-volatile 'lifetime' counters and
NOT clear them with a service person's 'factoryReset' operation.

Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI  49839
phone: +1-906-494-2434