WIMS> MIB - Expanding string lengths in Counter MIB

McDonald, Ira imcdonald at sharplabs.com
Wed Sep 12 14:56:41 EDT 2007

Hi Pete,

The Counter MIB (as distinct from spec or schema) follows
the Job MIB usage for media name of 63 octets.  Whereas,
IPP uses 255.  I could lengthen the string in the MIB (a
backwards compatible change).  Should I do that?

Altogether, four strings in the Counter MIB follow the Job
MIB usage for 63 octets and might be lengthened:

icGeneralNaturalLanguage - should stay 63 - IPP uses 63
icMediaUsedMediaSizeName - should change to 255 - IPP uses 255
icMediaUsedMediaName - should change to 255 - IPP uses 255
icAlertCounterName - should stay 63 - value is an ASN.1 identifier

Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI  49839
phone: +1-906-494-2434