IFX Mail Archive: Re: IPP> ADM - Last Call for IPP/1.1 documents

Re: IPP> ADM - Last Call for IPP/1.1 documents

Ron Bergman (rbergma@dpc.com)
Wed, 17 Mar 1999 08:15:14 -0800 (Pacific Standard Time)

Richard,

I don't believe that anyone has been suggesting that the IPP protocol not
be on the standards track. The only question is timing. We have been
waiting for over a year for approval of version 1.0 and the documents are
still not published as RFCs. Seems that we should at least wait until the
1.0 is completed and the feedback from the Bake-off is resolved before a
"Last Call" is issued.

You seem to imply that the IPP version 1.1 must be published prior to the
commencement of the Fxx project. As long as IPP/v1.1 is published prior
to the submission of Fxx (to the ITU or IETF) there should not be a
problem. This work should be able to proceed in parallel.

Also, any new IPP attributes required for Fxx could be included at this
time. (The addition of attributes is NOT a change to the protocol.) I am
not suggesting that this work be rushed to meet the "panic" deadlines for
IPP, but we should try to coordinate these efforts so as to minimize the
total work for both groups.

Ron Bergman
Dataproducts Corp.