IFX Mail Archive: IFX> Re: IPP> REG - Proposal for "

From: Michael Sweet (mike@easysw.com)
Date: Thu Sep 14 2000 - 10:17:59 EDT

    "Hastings, Tom N" wrote:
    > Now I'm more confused. The purpose of "job-recipient-name" was NOT
    > notification, but indicating who was the intended recipient of the
    > hardcopy produced by a job when the intended recipient is different
    > (lots of ways to use job-recipient-name to hand-deliver output to
    > the recipient deleted)

    You can easily mark output for a different recipient using the new
    attribute. That's basically the same as sending a cover sheet with
    a fax, and will probably work well in current environments provided
    there is someone to look through and distribute them.

    *However*, there are situations where you might want to send a
    document to someone but don't know their user name. *That's*
    what the operator/administrator keywords would address.

    In addition, I think that we need to address the obvious extension
    of this new attribute to notifications. Why should IPP automate
    everything *except* for something as simple as notifying the
    recipient when a job is printed for him/her? A user should be
    able to subscribe to a printer object and have a notification
    sent whenever a job destined for him/her has been completed.

    Michael Sweet, Easy Software Products                  mike@easysw.com