IFX Mail Archive: RE: IFX> Legal Requirements on Classic fax

RE: IFX> Legal Requirements on Classic fax

From: Dan Wing (dwing@cisco.com)
Date: Wed Feb 14 2001 - 11:21:50 EST

    On Wed, 14 Feb 2001 18:07 +0900, MAEDA toru wrote:

    > Wing-san
    >
    > I understand that all common mailers, including Eudora, Netscape, pine,
    > and many others, are capable of handling RFC2047-encoded headers.
    > But printing or imaging RFC2047-encoded headers are different capability.

    Agreed.

    > I am not sure that you can print out my email signature in Japanese below.

    Of course not; it doesn't identify itself as a MIME type in a different
    character set -- it is merely some ASCII embedded in a normal message.

    But you're right - even if it did, my mailer (pine) doesn't try to
    display it on the VT100 emulator I use. And an ifax device would need
    to understand all sorts of different character sets to interpret all
    sorts of different headers.

    The advantage of using computer-readable headers, of course, is allowing
    for sorting, searching, and other computer-assisted operations. That
    can only be done with image data using unreliable OCR.

    -d