IFX Mail Archive: IFX> UIF - TIFF/FX does have a way to do v

From: Hastings, Tom N (hastings@cp10.es.xerox.com)
Date: Fri Apr 20 2001 - 18:58:25 EDT

    The current UIF document has the following issue:

    1. It is not clear to me whether or not variable drawing surfaces are
    supported by TIFF-FX. For example can I say that I support 2000x3000 pixels?
    We have definitely agreed that we need to be able to do this as well as to
    include the TIFF-FX defined, named set of drawing surfaces. It is not
    supported by TIFF-FX and we need to create a profile that does support it.

    Its not clear from the issue whether variable drawing surfaces is a REQUIRED
    or an OPTIONAL feature of a Printer. Which are we talking about?

    In talking with Lloyd McIntyre, he says that TIFF-FX does provide a way to
    do variable drawing surfaces. Profile M has multiple layers. If the
    background layer is given the desired resolution (and the other surfaces
    have to have the same resolution), then any desired resolution can be
    represented. However, I think that a device that doesn't understand the M
    profile will try to display the mask layer not the background layer, so that
    it might miss all of the important information that is now being conveyed in
    the background layer. So there may be problems with using the M Profile to
    get variable drawing surface.

    Comments?

    Tom