IFX Mail Archive: IFX> RE: UIF - TIFF/FX does have a way to

From: McIntyre, Lloyd (Lloyd.McIntyre@pahv.xerox.com)
Date: Mon Apr 23 2001 - 17:11:47 EDT

    Some clarification to Tom's reflection of my comments with regard to TIFF-FX
    support for drawing surfaces.
    First let me reiterate that Profile M of TIFF-FX does have provisions for
    drawing surface definition.

    The Profile M format was developed to store compound images based on the
    multi-layer Mixed Raster Content (MRC) imaging model, defined in ITU-T T.44.
    A compound image is an image that may contained scanned images, synthetic
    images or both. A Profile M page may contain one or more image types, such
    as: multi-level continuous-tone or palletized color usually associated with
    naturally occurring images; bi-level detail associated with the text and
    line-art. These image types are processed in multiple separate layers. A
    page consists of a background (BG) layer (i.e. drawing surface) and one or
    more mask (M) and foreground (FG) layout image object pairs, which when
    imaged in the specified sequence, starting with the background, will give
    the desired page image. Mask layers are binary and has only one component
    while the background and foreground layers can be gray or color and needs
    one or more components. To apply the layout image objects to the page when
    building up the desired page image, the FG is applied to the page through
    its mask layer 'M' associated with it in the layout image object pair. That
    is, what is added to the drawing surface is the product of the mask and
    foreground layers. The following equation shows the model for combining
    drawing surface (BG) and a sequence of layout image object pairs from left
    to right.

                Page Image = BG + M0xFG0 + M1xFG1 + M2xFG2 + ...

    To minimize archiving and transmission file size, the page (i.e. drawing
    surface) resolution and dimensions are specified in the first mask layer
    (i.e. M0), which is referenced as the Primary Mask or Primary IFD (i.e. the
    main IFD when considering the TIFF structure, it is the IFD that sits in the
    main IFD chain of a series of linked pages). This allows the typically
    multi-component background layer to be represented at a much lower
    resolution, for significant savings. During the recombination process the
    resolution of the BG, as well as all the other layers, is scaled to that of
    the Primary Mask.

    There is no real issue for Profile M to be used in accommodating variable
    drawing surfaces.
    Ignore my comment with regard to a device that doesn't understand the
    multi-layer Profile M structure attempting to display a multi-layered
    Profile M file and the resulting image being less than what was intended. It
    should be ignore because common practice is for a renderer to not attempt to
    display or print a format that it does not understand. In the event of such
    an occurrence, the resulting image would be only that contained in the
    Primary IFD (Primary Mask), since the Primary IFD is the only IFD that would
    be visible to such a render. If a Profile M Primary IFD contains the
    character shapes of the text portion of a page, which is typical, the
    down-level render would be able to display/print only the text content. It
    would not have access to the BG or the FG information therefore the
    background (drawing surface) color on which the text is rendered may be
    incorrect if it were specified by BG to be other than white. Likewise any
    color images or text color represented in the FG would be lost. As you
    should now understand, this does NOT create any unusual issue for Profile M
    to be used in accommodating variable drawing surfaces.

    Lloyd

    supported by TIFF-FX. For example can I say that I support 2000x3000 pixels?
    We have definitely agreed that we need to be able to do this as well as to
    include the TIFF-FX defined, named set of drawing surfaces. It is not
    supported by TIFF-FX and we need to create a profile that does support it.

    > Its not clear from the issue whether variable drawing surfaces is a
    REQUIRED or an OPTIONAL feature of a Printer. Which are we talking about?

    > In talking with Lloyd McIntyre, he says that TIFF-FX does provide a way to
    do variable drawing surfaces. Profile M has multiple layers. If the
    background layer is given the desired resolution (and the other surfaces
    have to have the same resolution), then any desired resolution can be
    represented. However, I think that a device that doesn't understand the M
    profile will try to display the mask layer not the background layer, so that
    it might miss all of the important information that is now being conveyed in
    the background layer. So there may be problems with using the M Profile to
    get variable drawing surface.