IFX Mail Archive: IFX> FW: notes from the ietf FAX wg meetin

From: Hastings, Tom N (hastings@cp10.es.xerox.com)
Date: Tue Aug 14 2001 - 17:08:12 EDT

    Here is the statement about the IPPFAX presentation that Lloyd made at the
    Internet FAX WG at the IETF meeting:

     5.4 PWG IPP Fax status report

    Lloyd reported on behalf of the PWG IPP group. (see slides for a detailed
    description of documents and status). Is was made clear that the activity
    presetnte is carried on within the IEEE unbrella, and also that the IESG
    did not accepted this activity as a possible IETF one, answering that
    these activities were already covered by our wg. There was consensus from
    the wg that there must be a better coordination with these external
    efforts, in order to avoid any possible incomaptible products to be
    developed.

    Also included in the Internet FAX WG minutes are the discussions about:

    A. Interoperability problems with the image/tiff MIME type and some existing
    TIFF readers.

    My summary/questions:

    It seem likely that TIFF/FX will need a new MIME type, such as
    image/tiff-fx, instead of image/tiff; application=faxbw and =faxcolor, at
    least for the profiles that deployed TIFF readers can't handle (J, C, L, and
    M).

    If a new MIME type, will the MIME type have parameters to indicate the
    profile or profiles that are inside? For example:

       image/tiff-fx; profile=c,f

    What MIME type will our Universal Image Format (UIF) use?

    Can it be new parameter values for parameters on the (new) image/tiff-fx
    MIME type, such as:

       image/tiff-fx; profile=uif-c,uif-f

    B. The Adobe IPR issue with the IETF over Atobe's license to the IETF to use
    TIFF in producing TIFF/FX.

    My summary/questions:

    Adobe needs to resolve their issues with the licensing of TIFF to the IETF
    and Xerox needs to resolve their issues with Adobe on licensing MRC for use
    in TIFF.

    Will the IEEE-ISTO need to get a license from Adobe for the IPP FAX WG's
    Universal Image Format (UIF) which builds on TIFF/FX?

    Would Adobe grant us one?

    The Internet FAX WG is carrying on discussions about the notes on the
    ietf-fax@imc.org mailing list, if you want to know more.

    Tom