IFX Mail Archive: RE: IFX> TIFF contact person at Adobe

RE: IFX> TIFF contact person at Adobe

From: Hastings, Tom N (hastings@cp10.es.xerox.com)
Date: Tue Aug 14 2001 - 17:35:16 EDT

    Scott,

    Thanks for joining the IPP FAX telecon this morning. I have a few
    questions:

    1. As you indicated on the telecon, the IEEE-ISTO may need to get a license
    for TIFF from Adobe in order to progress our Universal Image Format (UIF)
    standard, which builds on TIFF/FX, correct?

    2. You indicated that that license might have some constraints. What sort
    of constraints?

    3. Are there any changes to the UIF document that would avoid the need for a
    license from Adobe or allow us to get one?

    For example, not using the image/tiff MIME Media type which confuses
    existing TIFF readers into thinking they can understand the contents, but to
    use a new MIME Media type.

    Thanks,
    Tom