IFX Mail Archive: RE: IFX> FW: option 5 for TIFF-FX [one doc

RE: IFX> FW: option 5 for TIFF-FX [one document/two MIME types]

From: McDonald, Ira (IMcDonald@crt.xerox.com)
Date: Thu Oct 11 2001 - 11:12:27 EDT

    Hi Harry,

    The assumption is that the IAB (Internet Activities Board, parent of IESG)
    will settle their licensing issues with Adobe during the same (next several
    months) time frame. A plausible reading of the original license (in my
    personal opinion) is that they SHOULD have already defined the second MIME
    type, because image/tiff with color profiles is NOT correctly consumed by
    many (most?) non-IFax readers. In any case, the IAB are clearly directing
    that the second MIME type is the minimum necessary solution.

    The IFax WG members are very much opposed to separating TIFF-FX into two
    different RFCs.

    WARNING - every IFax product that has already shipped with color/multi-layer
    profiles is going to be broken by this new MIME type, so IPP Fax is lucky
    to have avoiding this debacle.