IPP Mail Archive: RE: IPP> Notification Requirements

RE: IPP> Notification Requirements

Carl-Uno Manros (cmanros@cp10.es.xerox.com)
Thu, 12 Feb 1998 11:51:28 PST

Guys,

I think you are making it too easy.

There are a number of places that are multi-lingual and there is not
necessarily ONE localiced language (Florida, California, Canada and
Switzerland are concrete examples, not to mention the UN offices in New
York or the EU offices i Brussels).

So even if we encode all messages in some language independent way, we
might still need to indicate in the messages in which language they should
be displayed to a particular user.

Carl-Uno

At 07:36 AM 2/12/98 PST, Gordon, Charles wrote:
>The simplest way would be to restrict IPP to a specific set of
>notification messages. The localized version of the IPP client would
>have these messages translated into the local language. When the IPP
>client reads the message from the IPP server, it would determine which
>notification event occurred and produce the localized version version of
>the message for it.
>
>For a simple example, suppose IPP supports the following notification
>messages.
>
>1. Print job %job-name% which was sent to you by %sender% was printed
>on printer %printer% on %date% %time%.
>2. Print job %job-name% which was sent to you by %sender% was aborted
>on %date% %time% because of errors on printer %printer%.
>3. Print job %job-name% which you sent to %receipient% has been printed
>on printer %printer% on %date% %time%.
>
>and so on....
>
>The idea here is that we define a message for each type of event which
>IPP will send notification of. The strings can include tokens like
>%job-name% which will be replaced by the client with strings which
>represent the actual values assigned to them.
>
>When the IPP server sends a message, it sends it in a format which the
>IPP client can recognize. For example, suppose the IPP server sends a
>notification to a receipient that a job has been printed (message 1
>above). The IPP server formats the message so that client software can
>recognize that it is a notification that event 1 happenned, and sends
>values for the %job-name%, %sender%, and other tokens. The IPP client
>retrieves the localized text for notification event 1 and inserts the
>values for the tokens into the message. The localized message can now
>be displayed to the user.
>
>Well written Windows programs are designed so that they can be easily
>localized. All text is stored in a seperate file which can be localized
>without changing the code. If I write a Windows program which uses
>English, I can send the 'resource' file (which contains all my English
>text strings) to some translation house and have them provide localized
>versions for all the languages I want to support. Localized IPP clients
>can be create in this fashion. I would assume that other operating
>systems also support localization one way or another.
>
>I know the above example is rather simple, but I think it shows how
>localization could be done.

>Charles Gordon
>Osicom Technologies, Inc.
>cgordon@osicom.com