IPP Mail Archive: Re: IPP> the *platform* vendor will create the driver

Re: IPP> the *platform* vendor will create the driver

Jay Martin (jkm@underscore.com)
Mon, 16 Feb 1998 14:26:59 -0500

David,

Perhaps I should say "the platform vendor should create as many
drivers as possible", rather than "the platform vendor should
create the driver".

Specifically, I was thinking in terms of the "port monitor"
side of the driver, using Windows terminology. (That is,
the part of the driver responsible for transmitting the
print job to the printer, and handling all details of that
transaction.)

You're correct in pointing out the need for certain printer
vendors (or their subcontractors) to develop special imaging
components of the "driver". This part of the "driver" is not
what I was referring to.

...jay

-- JK Martin | Email: jkm@underscore.com --
-- Underscore, Inc. | Voice: (603) 889-7000 --
-- 41C Sagamore Park Road | Fax: (603) 889-2699 --
-- Hudson, NH 03051-4915 | Web: http://www.underscore.com --