IPP Mail Archive: RE: IPP> IPP document set - naming convention(s)

RE: IPP> IPP document set - naming convention(s)

Robert Herriot (robert.herriot@Eng.Sun.COM)
Fri, 13 Mar 1998 13:01:03 -0800

The current binary encoding assumes that chunking occurs at a lower layer.
IPP
could work without chunking, but we thought it was important to avoid the=
LPD
problem where the length of a document must be know before sending it.

If I were writing a server for receiving IPP over a raw socket, I would=
prefer
not to have chunking at a lower layer because I would have to implement a
lower
layer to put the chunks back together for the upper layer. I would prefer to
read the encoded attributes directly off the socket and chunk only the
document
data. =20

Therefore I would end up with a slightly difference encoding for raw sockets
than for HTTP.

Bob Herriot