IPP Mail Archive: Re: IPP>PRO new information on POST versus PRINT method

Re: IPP>PRO new information on POST versus PRINT method

Tom Hastings (hastings@cp10.es.xerox.com)
Fri, 13 Mar 1998 14:23:33 PST

At 12:34 03/13/1998 PST, Robert Herriot wrote:
>I have now discovered that IPP implementation using Java servlets can be
>implemented with either POST or PRINT or any collection of methods we might
>want, and it doesn't really matter because of the excellent design of Java
>Servlets.
>
>So, I no longer have objections about a PRINT method based on lack of
>support by the webserver. Now it is more of a network issue and I don't
>have enough information to know which is better in that environment.
>
>In case you care about the details of servlets, here they are:
>
>When a servlet Foo is first instantiated its 'init' method is called. It is
>instantiated when the web server starts or when the web server detects that
>the servlet 'Foo.class' file is new. In the later case, the web server
>calls the 'destroy' method in the running 'Foo' servlet if one is running.
>
>Each time the web server receives a request for '/servlet/Foo', it calls
>the 'service' method with two parameters: a request and response object.
>Each 'service' call is a separate thread so the servlet can be processing
>more than one request. If the servlet overrides the 'service' method, it
>can process requests for any method, and it can determine the method via
>the request object with the 'getMethod' method. If the servlet doesn't
>override the 'service' method, the superclass 'service' method calls
>'doGet' for GET, 'doPost' for POST, etc, and it returns an error for the
>nonstandard methods. If the servlet overrides 'doGet', it can process GET
>methods. If the servlet overrides 'doPost', it can process POST methods.

So what happens if IPP were to use a new method, not GET or POST, such
as PRINT? Wouldn't this be a "nonstandard" method and so would return
an error as you say?