IPP Mail Archive: RE: IPP> NOT - Is SNMPv3 suitable for IPP Notifications?

RE: IPP> NOT - Is SNMPv3 suitable for IPP Notifications?

Paul Moore (paulmo@microsoft.com)
Mon, 23 Mar 1998 13:29:20 -0800

If this is the case

"As far as I am aware, we seem to have agreements on most of the
points in
your message. The area in which there is still debate is for a
delivery
mechanism, that can send out notifications more quickly than with
email."

Then why is there a discussion? I can use anything I like for
notifications. I cannot see why SNMP appears in this discussion. If a system
wants to use SNMP to get events from a device then this is already possible
- it has nothing to do with IPP. What IPP needs is end user focussed stuff
(pagers, email, etc.). Faster than email would be the network native
messenger service (SMB Net Send for example).