IPP Mail Archive: RE: IPP> IPP, independently of HTTP, Requires Chunking ? Was: Mi

RE: IPP> IPP, independently of HTTP, Requires Chunking ? Was: Mi

Turner, Randy (rturner@sharplabs.com)
Wed, 15 Apr 1998 21:08:13 -0700

There is nothing in the existing encoding that allows a particular IPP
message to be "fragmented" across multiple transport "packets". The
encoding requires that a transport protocol provide some way to
logically "connect" one message to another contiguously received
message. In HTTP, this is accomplished with HTTP 1.1 chunking. With
another transport, there would have to some equivalent capability. I'm
not sure if I've adequately described the situation. Anything further I
think would require me to draw a picture.

Randy

-----Original Message-----
From: Carl Kugler [SMTP:kugler@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 15, 1998 9:22 AM
To: ipp@pwg.org
Subject: IPP> IPP, independently of HTTP, Requires
Chunking ? Was: Mi

> The concrete transport/encoding IPP protocol document is VERY
dependent
> on HTTP chunking.

I still don't get it. Could you please explain?

The original statement is:
> Encoding is HTTP independent except for chinking.

This sentence, to me, implies that there is some aspect of the
IPP encoding,
apart from HTTP, that depends on chunking. This is suprising
news to me.

The only chunking-related requirements I've found in the
Protocol document are:
1) the Server must support "chunked" Transfer-Encoding of
Requests
2) the Client must support "chunked" Responses.
These requirements derive directly from RFC 2068: "All HTTP/1.1
applications
MUST be able to receive and decode the "chunked" transfer
coding..."

Confused in Boulder,

Carl-III

ipp-owner@pwg.org on 04/14/98 05:34:03 PM