IPP Mail Archive: RE: IPP> Re: SDP> Charter eyeglasses

RE: IPP> Re: SDP> Charter eyeglasses

Turner, Randy (rturner@sharplabs.com)
Wed, 15 Apr 1998 21:28:51 -0700

I believe the IPP model document stands on its own merits. It defines
the model for printing as we know it today. Whether your printer is on
your wrist watch, or whether it fills a 10'x20' publishing room. I'm not
sure I really care about how the SDP is transported, or what media is
used to deliver it. Where I would be concerned is if someone decided to
define another "model" for SDP; which I think would be extremely
unfortunate, especially for the 99.9% of the printer industry that would
be forced to write complicated gateways to connect these two paradigms.

Randy

-----Original Message-----
From: Harry Lewis [SMTP:harryl@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 15, 1998 4:29 PM
To: don@lexmark.com
Cc: sdp@pwg.org; ipp@pwg.org
Subject: IPP> Re: SDP> Charter eyeglasses

I agree with Don that IPP is not optimized for a print subsystem
running on an
embedded controller. And, I may even be convinced to focus on
the merits of

>a single..., well designed protocol to accomplish this goal and
not
>a conglomeration of protocols patched together.

although not without pointing out that the Job MIB is receiving
as much
discredit, by those who have not made the effort to implement,
as some feel
TIPSI is receiving for similar reasons - the Job MIB being the
more recently
charted PWG effort.

The more important point is... will this single protocol evolve
from IPP or
will we all be forced to adopt a standard with a
control/command/response set
which, while in it's own right may be fine for server-to-host
printing, *is
not* the same as the IPP operations and attributes we,
collectively, have just
completed defining!

Harry Lewis - IBM Printing Systems

don@lexmark.com on 04/15/98 04:54:54 PM