IPP Mail Archive: RE: IPP> ADM - Reminder about job openings and home work assignme

RE: IPP> ADM - Reminder about job openings and home work assignme

Turner, Randy (rturner@sharplabs.com)
Fri, 24 Apr 1998 20:42:12 -0700

I have some reservations about using the concept of using IPP to
encapsulate OID to access SNMP MIB objects. I think we should be very
careful about the scope and requirements for such a capability. The
biggest problem I guess I have with this is that we MUST make sure that
IPP is not used to circumvent or hack access to manageable objects which
might otherwise be secured by standard SNMP security methods. There are
other considerations such as the definition of request and response
attributes, and whether or not we have a rich enough value syntax to
describe current SMI data objects.
I could go on but its Friday night and I'm getting dirty looks...;)

Randy