IPP Mail Archive: RE: IPP> ADM - Reminder about job openings and home work ass

RE: IPP> ADM - Reminder about job openings and home work ass

Harry Lewis (harryl@us.ibm.com)
Sun, 26 Apr 1998 02:00:40 -0400

With the goal of "IPP SDP" to have one protocol for submission and mana=
gement,
I see two paths.

1. Create an entirely redundant encoding of all the Printer MIB objects=
for
this new SDP protocol
2. Provide a way for the SDP to access the current MIB OIDs.

Given that many (most?) of us already have the Printer MIB data represe=
ntation
in our printers, I prefer (2).

I can see Randy's point if the desire was to keep print submission and
management separate, but I think, if you accept the premise of SDP in t=
he first
place, you must abandon this approach.

As for security, this seems like an odd reasoning. Security was always =
one of
SNMP's weak points and something IPP has struggled to achieve. Besides,=
I don't
think Scott has recommended and SETs to the OIDs.

One of the highlights of SENSE I remember Jay telling us about was that=
, with
one query, he could get the whole Printer MIB. It didn't seem like a th=
reat
then.

Harry Lewis - IBM Printing Systems

owner-ipp@pwg.org on 04/24/98 09:53:49 PM