IPP Mail Archive: RE: IPP> ADM - Reminder about job openings and home work ass

RE: IPP> ADM - Reminder about job openings and home work ass

Randy Turner (rturner@sharplabs.com)
Sun, 26 Apr 1998 06:22:47 -0700

Just because you "can" do something doesn't necessarily mean you "should".

What I would not like to hear from folks is..."well,SNMP has no security", and
"well, SNMP doesn't do traps reliably". If you read the minutes from the last
IETF Plenary in L.A, specifically the SNMPv3 WG minutes, SNMPv3 implementation
and availability after 6 months at "proposed" is already past where v2 was
after
two years at "proposed". The point is, we're designing stuff that probably
won't
be deployed until 1999, when in network management circles SNMPv3 will reach
the dominant position, if kept at its current pace of implementation.

SNMPv3 has some of the same security mechanisms at IPP, and you are going
to have to reconcile these two models if you provide a backdoor to MIB
data, whether you are reading, or writing these objects.

If SDP is only going to be implemented over direct-attach, point-to-point
interfaces like RS232 or 1284, then I would relax my stance somewhat, but
not much.

Randy