IPP Mail Archive: Re: IPP> ? on IPP direction concerning XML

Re: IPP> ? on IPP direction concerning XML

Jay Martin (jkm@underscore.com)
Tue, 28 Apr 1998 11:27:28 -0400

Frank,

Earlier you wrote:

> "Any printing standard that does not have the combined blessing of
> these two industry giants would be doomed from the start" IPP Member
> Jay Martin from Underscore

For the record, this is *not* the quote as published in the March
issue of the Hardcopy Observer. The actual text is:

"Whether IPP (as currently defined) is better or worse
than XML is a really useless discussion. Without
Microsoft's agressive support, any pervasive deployment
of an Internet-like printing protocol will likely fail
within the general domain."

I did not include Hewlett-Packard in this statement. And if
Carl-Uno and others want to write off this statement as mere
"speculation", then fine...they are certainly entitled to their
opinions.

As for me, I was simply stating obvious pragmatic reality.
I wish it were not so, but it is.

Since writing that statement on the IPP DL, Paul Moore
reappeared on the DL to say that he believes Microsoft
will indeed implement whatever the IETF ratifies as a
proposed standard from the IPP WG.

So, technically speaking, Frank, you shouldn't have to worry
about IPP (in whatever form it finally takes) not being
implemented by Microsoft. It should be noted, however,
that if many more months go by, Microsoft may feel that it
can change its position (as can any other player) and do
something else. Only time will tell.

...jay

-- JK Martin | Email: jkm@underscore.com --
-- Underscore, Inc. | Voice: (603) 889-7000 --
-- 41C Sagamore Park Road | Fax: (603) 889-2699 --
-- Hudson, NH 03051-4915 | Web: http://www.underscore.com --