IPP Mail Archive: Re: IPP> ADM - Reminder about job openings and home work assignme

Re: IPP> ADM - Reminder about job openings and home work assignme

Jay Martin (jkm@underscore.com)
Tue, 28 Apr 1998 11:35:49 -0400

Now this is a truly different stance from HP than we have seen
in the last several years, ever since HP (as a NPA charter
member) pulled out of the NPA with Microsoft at the 11th hour.

Recall that the official statement from HP and Microsoft
(as quoted in the trades) was that "SNMP is the proper way
to manage network printers".

If HP is indeed willing to change its position--and this time
really commit to implementing a more fully functional printer
submission/management protocol--then this could be very good
news for the Rest of Us.

After all, no one is interested in spending another 4 years
developing a protocol in which the leading players decommit
in the 11th hour, relegating the standard to "legacy" before
it even hits the streets.

...jay

-- JK Martin | Email: jkm@underscore.com --
-- Underscore, Inc. | Voice: (603) 889-7000 --
-- 41C Sagamore Park Road | Fax: (603) 889-2699 --
-- Hudson, NH 03051-4915 | Web: http://www.underscore.com --