IPP Mail Archive: Re: IPP> New IPP Model Document

Re: IPP> New IPP Model Document

Jay Martin (jkm@underscore.com)
Fri, 29 May 1998 17:51:09 -0400

Randy,

> This may be a difficult requirement to meet if an IPP implementation is
> built as an extension to a generic web server (like Apache).

Are you sure about this? I mean, I can see you point to
a certain extent, but wouldn't it be advantageous for an
IPP server implemented as a front-end on a generic platform
to be used as a multiplexor to several Printers and Jobs?

On the other hand, if the HTTP request header takes precedent,
then why are we specifying printer-uri/job-uri at all at the
IPP protocol level? Aren't we asking for trouble when the
HTTP request header and the corresponding IPP attributes don't
match (with regard to interoperability)?

...jay

-- JK Martin | Email: jkm@underscore.com --
-- Underscore, Inc. | Voice: (603) 889-7000 --
-- 41C Sagamore Park Road | Fax: (603) 889-2699 --
-- Hudson, NH 03051-4915 | Web: http://www.underscore.com --