IPP Mail Archive: Re: RE: IPP> New IPP Model Document

Re: RE: IPP> New IPP Model Document

Scott Isaacson (SISAACSON@novell.com)
Fri, 29 May 1998 17:34:39 -0600

Carl,

You provide good examples of why two URLs might refer to the same IPP =
object yet might be literally different (this gets back to the classical =
problems with equality - syntactically, semantically, instance vs class, =
type vs value, etc). Do we need to put any of them in the document as =
examples?

Can we live with the fairly simple statement that is in the document:
" 2. Even though these two URLs might not be literally identical (one =
being relative and the other being absolute), they must both reference the =
same IPP object."
or is the statement too simple?

I also think that most of the text that I added to the model document on =
this subject should be moved to the encoding and transport document. The =
model document should not care about all of the reasons why 2 HTTP URLs =
might not be identical and yet refer to the "same" resource. What do you =
think?

Scott
=20

>>> Carl Kugler <kugler@us.ibm.com> 05/29 4:59 PM >>>
Speculation: they might also be different:

After TLS negotiation?

Where the URIs are semantically the same but syntactically different, =
e.g.:
- Absolute vs. Relative
- host.domain vs dotted-ip
- Default port specified vs. port omitted
- UPPERCASE/lowercase in hostname
- URI translation using equivalent escape codes

After an HTTP redirect handled automatically by an HTTP layer in the =
client
stack that doesn't know about IPP?

Maybe an HTTP proxy server handles a redirect invisibly to the client?

owner-ipp@pwg.org on 05/29/98 04:13:56 PM
Please respond to owner-ipp@pwg.org=20