IPP Mail Archive: RE: IPP> Implications of a new scheme, etc

RE: IPP> Implications of a new scheme, etc

Zehler, Peter (Peter.Zehler@usa.xerox.com)
Mon, 8 Jun 1998 07:38:05 PDT

Jim,
As I understand it, there are 3 basic "types" of URLs in IPP.
1) externally configured, such as the printer's "printer-uri-supported"
2) internally generated, such as the job's "job-uri"
3) references to objects outside the IPP model, such as the printer's
"printer-more-info"

As long as we have consistent naming for items 1 and 2 I see no IPP server
problem. I assume that the attribute URLs will contain "ipp" as the method.
This put the responsibility on the client to translate.

For item 3 IPP would not perform any translation. These URLs refer to
objects external to the IPP model and must be left as specified.

Pete

Peter Zehler
XEROX
Networked Products Business Unit