IPP Mail Archive: Re: RE: RE: IPP> Identifying jobs in requests

Re: RE: RE: IPP> Identifying jobs in requests

Carl Kugler (kugler@us.ibm.com)
8 Jun 1998 21:35:39 -0000

> --=====================_6796152==_.ALT
>
> Charset clearly needs to be at the beginning so that a receiving process
> knows how to decode string fields before it encounters any of them.

That depends on your implementation. But I don't object to putting charset up front.

> The
> charset field is a string field, but the names are all ASCII so the decoding
> need not be known for the class of encodings that IPP support. BTW, XML puts
> charset at the beginning for the same reason.
>
> Natural language is the next most important value because it specifies the
> language of any text or name field. Processing is easier if the implicit
> language is known at the time a text or name field is encountered. XML has
> similar rules for language.

I'm curious about what kind of processing is easier. On the Printer side, natural language seems irrelevant except for deciding what language to respond in (for Printer-generated text). On the client side I guess it's used to decide whether text runs right-to-left or top-to-bottom? Are we expecting to see clients supporting multiple languages simultaneously; mixing up various text flows to present, say, the results of a Get-Jobs operation?

> The printer-uri/job-uri/job-id should be easy to find if it not in the
> enclosing layer. For HTTP, the position of the target isn't important
> because the target is redundant. The position would be important for a
> transport where the target is specified only in IPP layer.

Do we really need to provide for a future IPP-specific transport? Is it likely that one will be created? If so, since it would be IPP-specific anyway, couldn't we still put the target in the transport layer?