IPP Mail Archive: RE: IPP> Handling of invalid "request-id"

RE: IPP> Handling of invalid "request-id"

Turner, Randy (rturner@sharplabs.com)
Fri, 28 Aug 1998 14:29:03 -0700

I can't remember if the request-id is the same as a request
"transaction-id", but if it is, the server never validates this field. It is
set by the client and echoed back by the server in the corresponding
response. There is no validity check made by the server (that I am aware
of).

Randy

-----Original Message-----
From: Hugo Parra [mailto:HPARRA@novell.com]
Sent: Friday, August 28, 1998 2:04 PM
To: ipp@pwg.org
Subject: IPP> Handling of invalid "request-id"

Suppose the Printer object, while parsing an IPP requests, fails to validate
the "request-id" in the incoming payload (because the packet was incomplete
or because the value is not between 1 and 2**31-1). The documents indicates
that the Printer object should return a 'client-error-bad-request' status
code. That's fine; now my question: What request-id should the Printer
object include in the response (I'm assuming that responses with error
status codes must also include version, request-id, charset, etc.)? Should
0 be used to handle this cases?

-Hugo Parra