IPP Mail Archive: Re: RE: IPP> Handling of invalid "request-id"

Re: RE: IPP> Handling of invalid "request-id"

Hugo Parra (HPARRA@novell.com)
Fri, 28 Aug 1998 15:39:54 -0600

Randy,

I'm reading section 16.3.3 of the "Model and Semantics" document.

-Hugo Parra

>>> "Turner, Randy" <rturner@sharplabs.com> 08/28 3:29 PM >>>

I can't remember if the request-id is the same as a request
"transaction-id", but if it is, the server never validates this field. It =
is
set by the client and echoed back by the server in the corresponding
response. There is no validity check made by the server (that I am aware
of).

Randy

-----Original Message-----
From: Hugo Parra [mailto:HPARRA@novell.com]=20
Sent: Friday, August 28, 1998 2:04 PM
To: ipp@pwg.org=20
Subject: IPP> Handling of invalid "request-id"

Suppose the Printer object, while parsing an IPP requests, fails to =
validate
the "request-id" in the incoming payload (because the packet was incomplete=

or because the value is not between 1 and 2**31-1). The documents =
indicates
that the Printer object should return a 'client-error-bad-request' status
code. That's fine; now my question: What request-id should the Printer
object include in the response (I'm assuming that responses with error
status codes must also include version, request-id, charset, etc.)? =
Should
0 be used to handle this cases?

-Hugo Parra