IPP Mail Archive: Re: IPP> ipp architecture.

Re: IPP> ipp architecture.

Carl Kugler (kugler@us.ibm.com)
30 Sep 1998 19:49:09 -0000

govind wrote:
>hello everybody,
> i am new and (asked to) work on ipp architecture implementation.
> Upon reading the model and semantics draft, I have the following queries
> to make.

Here is my understanding:

> 1) What is the interface defined/required between the Ipp server/
> print service ?

There is currently no such thing as an IPP Server defined in the IPP Model. If you check the archives you can see there once was a Server object but it was removed years ago.

> 2) The functionality of print servicem ?

The IPP Model defines no Print Server, so it is up to any implementation to define any functionality.

> 3) What is/are the interface between the print service and the
> device ?

The IPP Model defines no Print Server, so it is up to any implementation to define any interface.

Note, however, that there is a separate effort to define a standard interface called Server-Device-Protocol (SDP). See

http://www.egroups.com/list/sdp/info.html

and

ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/sdp

> 4) Directory service ( which the draft tells is out of scope of
> document .). Is there an essential requirement to implement LDAP.

It's not a requirement of IPP.

-----
See the original message at http://www.egroups.com/list/ipp/?start=4538