IPP Mail Archive: Re: IPP> MOD - Tentative decision on natural lang

Re: IPP> MOD - Tentative decision on natural lang

Carl Kugler (kugler@us.ibm.com)
9 Nov 1998 20:25:07 -0000

NLO 3of4 + NLO 4of4 is essentially the same as my original proposal except that instead of adding a new, OPTIONAL "natural-language-requested" operation attribute, the original, REQUIRED, "attributes-natural-language" operation attribute is retained. I agreed to this compromise after it was explained to me that a MANDATORY override of the Printer's "natural-language-configured" might be useful to multi-lingual operators, separator-sheet generators, and email notifiers (although one wonders why we need "natural-language-configured", then). Also, it is more compatible with existing implementations. But it does use more bandwidth.

In my opinion, NLO 4of4 should be modified so that the "attributes-natural-language" operation attribute is OPTIONAL in responses.

The NLO 2of3 + NLO 3of3 compromise proposal retains almost none of the benefits I listed in my original proposal under "Advantages". It does cause less breakage to some existing implementations. However, the changes required by NLO 3of4 + NLO 4of4 are all deletions; nothing new is added.

-Carl

"There are two ways of constructing a software design: one way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies and the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies." --C.A.R. Hoare

-----
See the original message at http://www.egroups.com/list/ipp/?start=4802