IPP Mail Archive: RE: IPP> MOD - Ok to add 'image/tiff' and 'application/pdf' to

RE: IPP> MOD - Ok to add 'image/tiff' and 'application/pdf' to

James Rafferty (jrafferty@worldnet.att.net)
Wed, 17 Feb 1999 17:21:55 -0500

At 12:47 PM 2/17/99 -0800, Hastings, Tom N wrote:
>Richard,
>
>Here is the current image/tiff entry in the IANA registry. Is it ok?

Unfortunately, no, its way out of date and also inaccurate. The
current registration for image/tiff is documented in RFC 2302 and has
not been properly updated by IANA. They may feel the need to keep the
original
listing from Marshall Rose out there, but the at minimum, the update needs
to be correct.

>>From mrose@dbc.mtview.ca.us Sat Jul 31 20:04:51 1993
>To: iana@ISI.EDU
>Subject: Registration of new MIME content-type/subtype
>Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1993 20:04:00 -0700
>From: Marshall Rose <mrose@dbc.mtview.ca.us>
>
>MIME type name: image
>
>MIME subtype name: tiff
>
>Required parameters: none
>
>Optional parameters: none
>
>Encoding considerations: base64
>
>Security considerations: none
>
>Published specification: TIFF class F, as defined in:
>
> Tag Image File Format (TIFF) revision 6.0
>
> Developer's Desk Aldus Corporation
> 411 First Ave. South Suite
> 200 Seattle, WA 98104
> 206-622-5500
>
>or:
>
> Tile Format for Internet Fax
> <draft-ietf-fax-tiffplus-07.txt>
>

>Person & email address to contact for further information:
>
> Glenn Parsons <Glenn.Parsons@Nortel.ca>

This detail should be taken from RFC 2302, which is different than shown
here.
Its not clear why IANA put this listing out there.

I'll inquire about getting the IANA info fixed.

In the meantime, please see RFC 2302 for the correct information about
image/tiff and its parameters.

James

James Rafferty
President, Human Communications LLC