IPP Mail Archive: RE: IPP> MOD - Issue 33 - proposed resolution to combining IPP/1.

RE: IPP> MOD - Issue 33 - proposed resolution to combining IPP/1.

Hastings, Tom N (hastings@cp10.es.xerox.com)
Tue, 27 Apr 1999 09:54:50 -0700

Harry and Bill,

The intent of the proposed ISSUE 33 resolution was as you both say, NOT to
redefine the November 1.0 document, but just to indicate what IPP/1.1 things
were not in the November 1.0 document. Then an implementer that wants to
implement both IPP/1.1 and IPP/1.0 need not keep referring to two documents,
but can use our IPP/1.1 document alone. Furthermore, our IPP/1.1 document
could then say that is supersedes the IPP/1.0 November RFC, since the
IPP/1.1 document makes clear what things were not present in the IPP/1.0
November document.

So I'm quite confused with your comments, since your goals are the same as
the proposed resolution. The square bracketed notes in the body of the text
meet the following goals:

1. Allow a reader reading the IPP/1.1 document to know what was in the
November 1.0 document without having to read the November IPP/1.0 document
as well. This is useful for anyone who wants to implement both IPP/1.0 and
IPP/1.1 in the same implementation. (Something our Implementer's Guide is
pointing out increases interoperability).

2. Don't make any changes to IPP/1.0 protocol from what is in the November
document.

3. Allow an implementer of the IPP/1.0 protocol only who want to implement
any IPP/1.1 feature as an extension of IPP/1.0 to do so without having to
read two documents.

4. The IPP/1.1 RFC document can formally supersede the IPP/1.0 November
document when published.

On the other hand, it would be a lot easier for the body of the text NOT to
have all these indications of [xxx was UNSPECIFIED in [ipp-mod1.0]] as
suggested by Bill, Harry, and Ron. The implementer can just read the
differences list in the Appendix (see the February 1999 I-D to see how easy
this is to use for someone implementing both IPP/1.0 and IPP/1.1). But it
does go against the suggestion at the IETF meeting in March.

Lets hear from others. So far, Bill, Harry, and Ron are against having the
comments in the body of the document and are against having the IPP/1.1
document supersede the IPP/1.0 document.

Comments?
Tom

P.S. The original message was sent to ipp@psg.org (so may not have been seen
by all).