IPP Mail Archive: RE: IPP> Last Call Comment: Job and Printer time attributes shou ld

RE: IPP> Last Call Comment: Job and Printer time attributes shou ld

Zehler, Peter (Peter.Zehler@usa.xerox.com)
Tue, 27 Apr 1999 13:24:05 -0400

Carl,
There are many ways to get a pretty good time value. From sniffing the HTTP
traffic to using a time server. Printers can have their time set via a
console or web page. They could ask
"http://tycho.usno.navy.mil/cgi-bin/timer.pl". they could use a GPS
module...I hear they are getting pretty cheap.
I do not believe requiring dateTime attributes will be an undue burden on
printer implementations. It will be useful to IPP client applications.
Pete

Peter Zehler
XEROX
Xerox Architecture Center