IPP Mail Archive: Re: IPP> MOD - part of Issue 17 - don't need negative"time-at-xxx" Job

Re: IPP> MOD - part of Issue 17 - don't need negative"time-at-xxx" Job

Michael Sweet (mike@easysw.com)
Wed, 28 Apr 1999 16:50:37 -0400

Richard Shockey wrote:
> like a facsimile transmission to end users. If we are ever going
> extend the legal protection of fax to IPP and give IPP the "look and
> feel" of fax, it will be necessary to require time/date
> stamping/logging at some point.

First, any law-making issues are WAY beyond the scope of any standard.

Second, yes the date/time information may be required for such an
application, *however* they are not required for general printing.

Third, I think any discussion of facsimile/IFAX/whatever comes under
a separate specification anyways, so let's not clutter up IPP with
IFAX requirements.

I like the idea of supporting date/time when it is available, but
*requiring* it when we *know* that the primary application of IPP
(namely embedding it into network printers) probably *can't* support
it without extra, external code and/or services is not the way to go.

Michael Sweet, Easy Software Products                  mike@easysw.com