IPP Mail Archive: Re: IPP> MOD - What IPP/1.1 issues need to be discussed at the IPP WG meet

Re: IPP> MOD - What IPP/1.1 issues need to be discussed at the IPP WG meet

kugler@us.ibm.com
Fri, 21 May 1999 22:08:49 -0000

<918c79ab552bd211a2bd00805f15ce850135458-@x-crt-es-ms1.cp10.es.xerox.com> wrote:
Original Article: http://www.egroups.com/list/ipp/?start=5833
> In order to help prepare for next week's IPP WG meeting, it would be helpful
> to know which of the IPP/1.1 issues from the Bake Off need to be further
> discussed. All of these issues have been resolved as shown below and
> included in the Internet-Draft "Model and Semantics" and "Encoding and
> Transport" that was published on May 12.

I'm still somewhat dissatisfied with the solution to ISSUE 35.

The new text says:
'document-access-error': The Printer could not access one or more
documents passed by reference, i.e., by Print-URI or Send-URI while processing the job. This reason is intended to cover any file access problem, including file does not exist, server timeout, and access denied because of an
access control problem.

Unfortunately, this provides little diagnostic information to the client. How is the client to know whether the problem is that the file doesn't exist, or there's no route to host, or DNS hostname cannot be resolved, permisson denied, etc.?

-Carl